You are a sociologist with a track record in evaluation research, or in researching educational inequality? You know Luxembourg or have worked in German-speaking countries before? Then you might consider becoming our colleague! As postdoctoral researcher in sociology, you will engage in research and evaluation of the recent homework support programme “Hausaufgabenhëllef“, launched by the Luxembourgish government in 2022. The present vacancy offers a 24-months contract in academia with a competitive salary. Apply now and grow in your research career at the University of Luxembourg!
Jump to content
The researcher will be a member of the Youth Research Group, a dynamic team of researchers working on different aspects of young people’s lives from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The primary responsibilities of this position include conducting and leading qualitative and quantitative research as part of the EvaH – (Evaluation Homework Support) research project.
The core of the project is the evaluation of the program “Hausaufgabenhellëf” launched by the Luxembourg government. The evaluation focuses in particular on the opportunities and challenges described by the participants of the program in dealing with the different instruments / elements of homework support, as well as on the desired cooperation mechanisms.
The evaluation was commissioned by the Observatory for Childhood and Adolescence and has a duration of 24 months. The evaluation will focus on conducting focus groups and an online survey with various participant groups. Thus, this is a mixed-methods project.
The researcher will be a member of the Centre for Childhood and Youth Research (CCY) within the Department of Social Sciences. The CCY consists of a multidisciplinary research team that studies the conditions and opportunity structures of growing up in the context of social change and inequalities. It maintains close links with other institutes and relevant organizations within and outside the department, both nationally and internationally.
- Conducting and leading qualitative and quantitative research in a 24-month mixed-methods project (evaluation homework support)
- Preparation, implementation and evaluation of focus groups with different groups of respondents
- Planning and implementation of a broad-based written survey / online survey and its analysis
- Conduct and publish research in the area of evaluation research, on educational inequality, or other relevant topics
- Participate in policy-relevant analyses and disseminate findings to stakeholders
- Participating in and presenting at relevant national and international conferences
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders inside and outside the university
What we expect from you…
- PhD in a relevant field (e.g. sociology, pedagogy, educational sciences)
Relevant (post)doctoral work and/or research experience
- Experience with qualitative research methods, especially qualitative interviewing; experience with quantitative research methods, conducting online surveys
- Experience with data processing and analysis software (e.g., ATLAS.ti, MAXQDA, SPSS, Qualtrics)
- Experience in the field of ethnography is a plus
- Confident command of German, English and Luxembourgish. French is an asset
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL05967
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 81072 (full time)
Find further information on how to apply in the University’s official job vacancy.